West Boca's exemplary respiratory staff are, from left. First Row, Dr. Mark Adelman, S. Jennings, RRT, S. Donatucci, EEG Tech, M. Murray, RRT. Second Row, C. Apergis RRT, D. Pellon RRT, L. Martignetti CRT, T. Chambers CRT, Third Row, D. Oliveri CRT, D. Koda RRT, J. Nicole LPN, K Mayer RRT.
Boca Raton, FL – West Boca Medical Center has earned Quality Respiratory Care Recognition (QRCR) under a national program aimed at helping patients and families make informed decisions about the quality of the respiratory care services available in hospitals.
About 700 of the 5,000 hospitals in the U.S. are Quality Respiratory Care Institutions.
The QRCR program was started by the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) in 2003 to help consumers identify those facilities using qualified respiratory therapists to provide respiratory care. Hospitals earning the QRCR designation ensure patient safety by agreeing to adhere to a strict set of criteria governing their respiratory care services.
To qualify for the recognition, West Boca Medical Center provided documentation showing it meets the following conditions:
- All respiratory therapists employed by the hospital to deliver bedside respiratory care services are either legally recognized by the state as competent to provide respiratory care services or hold the CRT or RRT credential
- Respiratory therapists are available 24 hours
- Other personnel qualified to perform specific respiratory procedures and the amount of supervision required for personnel to carry out specific procedures must be designated in writing
- A doctor of medicine or osteopathy is designated as medical director of respiratory care services
- Hospital policy prohibits the routine delivery of medicated aerosol treatments utilizing small volume nebulizers, metered does inhalers, or intermittent positive pressure treatments to multiple patients simultaneously. Circumstances under which this practice is permitted are defined by policy.
The AARC’s QRCR program grew out of growing concerns among health care leaders and the general public regarding the safety and quality of health care services provided to patients. Hospitals that meet the QRCR requirements provide a level of respiratory care consistent with national standards and guidelines, and should be commended for their commitment to quality care. A list of QRCR hospitals is maintained at the association’s website for consumers, www.YourLungHealth.org.
Respiratory therapists are specially trained health care professionals who work under physician’s orders to provide a wide range of breathing treatments and other services to people with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, lung cancer, AIDS, and other lung or lung-related conditions. They also care for premature infants and are key members of lifesaving response teams charged with handling medical emergencies.
About West Boca Medical Center:
West Boca Medical Center, part of Tenet South Florida, is a 195-bed acute care hospital located at 21644 State Road 7 in Boca Raton, Florida. The hospital has been serving the medical and health care needs of the community and surrounding areas for over 20 years.
West Boca Medical Center offers a broad array of services, including general medical and surgical care, cardiac and surgical intensive care, outpatient surgery services, 24-hour emergency services for adults and children, diabetes education, a cystic fibrosis program for adults and children, outpatient rehabilitation services and a sleep diagnostic center. The hospital also offers several specialties, including a level III neonatal intensive care unit, the BirthCare Pavilion, a pediatric unit and a pediatric intensive care unit. It is also a recipient of the HealthGrades Maternity Care Excellence Award four years in a row (2006/2007 and 2007/2008, 2008/2009 and 2009/2010). HealthGrades ranks West Boca’s maternity program among the top 5% five percent in the nation.
West Boca Medical Center is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on the accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the nation’s oldest and largest hospital accreditation agency. For more information about West Boca Medical Center or for physician referral, call 866-904-WBMC (9262).